A person interested in jewellery can examine a wide variety of gemstones. From luxurious diamonds to fashionable jades, these stunning gems come in a variety of colors, shines, and (of course) prices. However, one stone is frequently missed: zircon
Since ancient times, zircon has been a mineral used in jewelry. Zircon stones, which are classified as semi-precious and have a variety of colors, including brown, red, blue, yellow, and white, are formed naturally. This modest yet well-liked stone may give jewellery a lot of glitz and grandeur when it is incorporated.
Zircon's white kind is frequently used as a semiprecious stone in inexpensive jewellery since it closely resembles a diamond. Zircon stones come in a variety of colours, including blue and white. Dark blue zirconia stones are also found, while pale blue stones are more common.
There are various additional names for zircon, most of which are based on their colour:
Starlite: A usually heat-treated blue zircon stone. Rarely does the colour on starlite come from nature.
Zircon: White zircon gemstones are given their name because they resemble diamonds.
Jargon: colourless, light yellow, or grey zircon stones.
Jacinth: Zircon stones that are coloured yellow, brown, orange, or red.
Where do zircon stones come from?
Embedded in igneous and metamorphic rocks is the mineral zircon. They can also be discovered in deposits of beach sand. In addition to Australia, South Africa, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Ukraine, Brazil, and Kenya, the stone is mined across the world.
What makes zircon stones so popular for use in jewellery?
Zircon has been used by jewellers for a good reason throughout history and across all continents, despite the fact that it may look like a lesser-known gemstone. The reasons why zircon is so popular among jewellers are as follows:
- Color: Zircon stones come in a variety of colours that span the colour spectrum, from flaming red to cool blue, and many shades in between. While some colours of the stone show through during cutting, others, such as blue zircon stone, are frequently heat treated.Zircon stones provide jewellers with a broad variety of colours to work with, regardless of the procedure!
- Lustre: Zircon stones are recognised as lustrous by their high reflective index (a stone's capacity to bend light) and fire (a stone's capacity to scatter white light into a range of colors). Additionally, a stone's lustre affects how glamorous a piece of jewellery looks.
- Natural diamond substitute: Due to their brilliance, colourless zircons are frequently regarded as the best natural alternative to diamonds in jewelry-making.
- Longevity: Zircon stones are strong and have a long physical lifespan. Despite the fact that they might not survive as much as diamonds, these stones are nevertheless suitable for use in bracelets, rings, earrings, and other jewellery.
Fun fact: Zircon stones are more uncommon than diamonds! They don't have as much market worth, though. Zircon jewellery is actually reasonably priced. A good zircon necklace set can cost as little as Rs 2,000, depending on the item and size.
What makes zircon jewellery desirable?
- Versatile: Zircon stones are quite adaptable because there are so many different coloured varieties to pick from. Like most jewels, they enhance a piece with style and glitz. Zircon jewellery is available in designs for every occasion, from celebratory wear to everyday use.
- Affordable alternatives to costly stones: zircon may be the solution if you're looking for stylish but affordable jewelry. Although they are less expensive than their precious counterpart, they can nonetheless provide you with the shine and feel that you may be looking for.
- Zircon stones are tough and chemically stable. They are also hard and glossy. A zirconium item of jewellery can last you for years with proper maintenance.
How can you be sure you are purchasing genuine zircon jewellery? Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine whether a zircon stone is real. Customers can perform the following checks to verify that the item they are buying is authentic:
- Beware of marketing speak: zircon is frequently mistaken for cubic zirconia (CZ). Despite the name sounding similar, CZ is not a zircon stone; rather, it is a man-made alternative to diamonds. Therefore, when buying anything with zircon stones, carefully study the tiny print to be sure the stones are actually zircon and not CZ.
- Buy zircon jewellery from a reputable vendor: When buying zircon jewellery, make sure the seller is reliable and honest.
- Check the shine: zircon stones of high quality offer brilliant brightness and brilliance. When inspecting your jewellery, do so in a well-lit area, right in front of a source of light. It is likely that the zircon stone is real if it has a good lustre and emits a variety of colours from the VIBGYOR spectrum. The stone may not actually be zircon despite the results of this test. You may only use it to assess a stone's quality.
How durable is zircon jewellery?
The reasonably tough structure and beautiful lustre of zircon can endure for a very long period of time. The following factors, however, may cause the stones' durability to decline:
- Rugged usage: zircons are comparatively tough. They are not the most resilient stones, though. They are prone to having their surfaces scratched or damaged if not handled carefully.
- Light exposure: When exposed to sunlight, zircon stones are comparatively stable. However, there is a danger that the gemstone will lose its sparkle if it has been heated (as is the case with the majority of blue zircon stones). However, if the stone is subjected to the heat treatment procedure once more, the lack of shine can be restored.
- Other harsh chemicals: Zircon is robust and does not respond to chemicals, although it is recommended to avoid close contact with goods that contain a lot of chemicals on a daily basis, such as cleaners, cosmetics, and detergent. When you are through wearing your jewellery, it is safer to take it off. We advise using mild soapy water to clean your jewellery item if you feel the need to.
We offer beautiful range of jewellary for you guys at sneharataria.com. Visit our online store and choose that suits your style the best from our diverse collection.